Friday, October 12, 2007

Selection Rejection

Selection/Rejection/Intention Report



I have developed three different solutions for the controls for the underwater ROV. In this report I have each solution with their pros and cons. There is also a picture for each and at the end I used this report to help me choose one solution to be the controller.

My first solution is a slanted box with eight different toggle switches, one for each of the different functions. I feel that although it is very straightforward and easy to use it is not as comfortable as my other solutions and with that many buttons it may be hard to reach all of them and even though it is easy to understand which switch is which when under the pressure of the competition it is possible to accidentally use the wrong one. This solution would be easy to create because it only has about eight toggle switches which are easy to install. It would be a good idea to use this because there would be less of a chance of it not working before or during the competition.




My second solution is similar to the first. It is the same box structure and still has two toggle switches it also has a joystick for the movements of the vehicle. The joystick would make it marginally more comfortable, easier and less confusing because there are less buttons. It is still easy to create and by putting in the same amount of work as the first solution I could get a better controller.

My third solution is different from the other two solutions in its size and shape. It would use the shell of an xbox controller and the two analog joysticks. Both of my teammates are experienced in using this controller and all of the controls are simple and easy to understand. This would most definitely be the final solution except for the fact that it is must harder to create than the other two solutions. When the time comes for the competition I would rather have a controller that I am confident in my ability to create and be able to fix at the last minute if something goes wrong than one that is harder to understand and put together.


I have concluded that my final solution will be a mix of two of my alternative solutions. I will have two controllers, one for the steering, and one for the arm, power, lights and cameras. The one for the steering will be the xbox controller because my teammates and I have all used this controller before and are familiar with it but because there wasn’t an easy way to have all of the controls on just that controller I decided to make the second one which was the first alternative solution. The only thing that would be different with my first alternative solution would be that instead of having eight toggle switches i would only have three, which would also get rid of the confusion of all of the toggle switches. This was perfect because it is best for just the toggle switches and not the steering. The two controllers would be used by two team members. one will be steering the ROV and the other will using the other to open and close the arm when necessary

No comments: